akaakp.bsky.social · @akaakp.bsky.social@bridge.neodb.net
Rated Late Bloomers: The Power of Patience in a World Obsessed with Early Achievement 10/10
I picked this book up expecting a smug vindication of the child rearing choices that the spouse and I made—that is, the decision to just leave our kids be, to have faith that they don’t need to be superstars, just good people. And yes, it is that. But it is really much more, a book for anyone at any age who is still trying to figure things out or perhaps thinking of changing the path they’re on. <br/><br/>In plain prose with solid, relatable examples, Karlgaard crystallizes much of what I’ve gleaned over the past few decades as social scientist-adjacent book nerd: patience matters; sunk costs don’t; environment and situations shape you more than any inherent traits; and it’s never too late to learn, to change yourself or to change the course you’re on. <br/><br/>I “osmosed” this one in print and on audiobook. The narration is clear and straightforward (ie: no annoying “voices” used) and disappears as you listen.
#book
Published · bridged from Atmosphere
ActivityPub object: https://bridge.neodb.net/users/akaakp.bsky.social/posts/3mbtgthws4n2p
AT Protocol record: at://did:plc:bhfuaumw2aieozvb2qw5rw6x/buzz.bookhive.book/3mbtgthws4n2p