alekspredator.bsky.social · @alekspredator.bsky.social@bridge.neodb.net
Rated Red Mars (Mars Trilogy) 10/10
The Great Colonization of the Red Planet<br/><br/>My acquaintance with this work began with the bookshelf of one of the shops, where I was first attracted by the cover with the image of Mars and the loud, as it seemed to me, the name "Red Mars". It seems obvious that Mars is red, well, at least about that color. The second and third volumes, Green and Blue Mars, were right next door. And that's where I got really interested. After all, I already understood from the name that the story will concern the colonization of our cosmic neighbor. Only then did I find out that Robinson's work "Red Mars" had won the prestigious Nebula Award. That's when I decided I wanted to read this book.<br/>I must say right away that I did not lose my choice. "Red Mars" drew me in with its long but very interesting narrative. I noticed for myself that this is something different from what I used to see in blockbusters on screens. It's also for the best. Sometimes you realize that dynamic action movies with explosions, chases and worldwide rescues are already boring. And that's exactly what you see on the screens. At the same time, such literature is rarely screened, because it may "miss" the viewer. But it was a great pleasure for me to read this book.<br/>Kim Stanley Robinson starts and continues gradually. He competently tells how people began to colonize Mars, encountering and overcoming initial difficulties. One can feel the era of writing — the early 1990s, when suddenly "the evil enemies of the Russians" became "as yet unknown friends" for the West. In the book, I often noticed for myself how the author talks about Russians with restraint and even with some sympathy. Nice.<br/>The writer takes a meticulous approach to revealing both the main characters and the minor ones. This is an undeniable plus. There is a lot of action here, where each character reveals himself to the reader as a person. Robinson's skill allows him to understand each of the characters, empathize with and dislike the characters, openly sympathize, and sometimes be indifferent.<br/>There are many events and descriptions in the novel. Here are the first steps of the colonists, the emerging issues and disputes about the need for colonization, and the final battles that will not leave anyone indifferent. I remember that after the finale, when the last page was turned, I suddenly realized that I had to say goodbye to my beloved world and my beloved characters. <br/>However, there are two more novels ahead that are designed to reveal future events. The novel "Red Mars" is a strong and interesting story. A very informative and moderately dynamic book, where you should not expect a lot of action, where the world lives and develops gradually under the pen of a wise author. And the ending is sure to make every reader think about whether a person really should colonize new worlds, whether he has the right to do so, whether he will cope with such a task? Everyone will find the answer for themselves, and Robinson provides good food for thought.<br/>I definitely recommend this book for all fans of planetary fiction to read.<br/>9 out of 10
#book
Published · bridged from Atmosphere
ActivityPub object: https://bridge.neodb.net/users/alekspredator.bsky.social/posts/3mus63nj74k2c
AT Protocol record: at://did:plc:rqr7nnw4bs7d3mrvm4sxuxfg/social.popfeed.feed.review/3mus63nj74k2c