babewiththepower.bsky.social · @babewiththepower.bsky.social@bridge.neodb.net
Rated In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox 8/10
Carol Burnett is one of my favorite comedians. Even though this book was about the original 11 year run which ended in 1978 when I was probably still being potty-trained, it was one of my favorite shows as a kid because that's when it started to run in syndication. Reading this book was a real trip down memory lane. Carol, Harvey, Vicki, and Tim getting together was lightning in a bottle. Even though what I watched was the stripped down to the skits "Carol Burnett and Friends," I can appreciate the sections covering the parts of the show I never saw, the musicals and mini-musicals. What an amazing list of guest stars!<br/><br/>As I read this I came to one realization, something of this show that would never happen today. A lot of their satire and parodies were send ups of films and shows from a much earlier time, many as old as 30 to 40 years before the original run. Today's sketch shows, if it's not retreading for the millionth time what's currently going on, it's not considered good or a good idea to do. My guess is it's mainly because the collective general knowledge base is so ridiculously tiny that the audience wouldn't understand what's going on. And that's sad.<br/><br/>I have to say that of the stars written about, I don't remember seeing a show with Lucille Ball. Talk about favorite comedians! Burnett and Ball in the same bit?? I'm going to have to track that down! The closing essays made me kind of sad and wistful for those shows, but glad they got such a run and so many accolades. I'm also glad Burnett did a little calling out of sorts of what sounds like caddish behavior from Bob Barker. Studio 33, where the show was recorded, was also where "The Price is Right" was recorded and had since been renamed The Bob Barker Studio. A few years ago CBS had wanted to add a plaque to the stage reading The Carol Burnett Stage. Apparently Barker kicked up a fuss, so that particular idea got shelved. What a jerk! However, CBS instead renamed the Artist Entrance the Carol Burnett Artist Entrance. She says she was thrilled because that's where she always entered the stage to do her show, but still. Sharing a commemorative name in the studio would've been a privilege for Barker. Carol Burnett is a legend.
#book
Published · bridged from Atmosphere
ActivityPub object: https://bridge.neodb.net/users/babewiththepower.bsky.social/posts/3mtesaqv7hcmx
AT Protocol record: at://did:plc:u2673mqre3hgx32l6yv3vne2/buzz.bookhive.book/3mtesaqv7hcmx