christianpizzirani.com · @christianpizzirani.com@bridge.neodb.net
Rated Mary Poppins Returns 9/10
The biggest issue that Mary Poppins Returns has is living up to and the immediate comparisons to its predecessor. The original Mary Poppins film sits easily in my top 10 favorite films of all time, so needless to say when Returns was announced, I was super excited. On first watch, I gave it 4 stars and thought it was a good movie but just too similar to the original. It took me seven years to watch it a second time and maybe enough time has passed (and life has... life'd), but gosh darn this move is charming, sweet, and occasionally unlocks the feels. Independently, Mary Poppins Returns could be seen as quite clever, fun, catchy, and well-produced. Yes, it's silly how similar the movie flows and how each beat and musical number can be aligned to the original, but you know what... I don't care. I still had a blast on this rewatch, smiled the whole time, and had to hold back tears. That's a good movie and I will happily watch it again.
#movie
Published · bridged from Atmosphere
ActivityPub object: https://bridge.neodb.net/users/christianpizzirani.com/posts/3mq5olqvufk24
AT Protocol record: at://did:plc:ucezqgtti5bdeph3b5ss2mqh/social.popfeed.feed.review/3mq5olqvufk24