esteeb.art · @esteeb.art@bridge.neodb.net
Rated The Creator 6/10
This movie was messy and stupid and I wish they would make more movies like it. This movie had a lot going for it that I want to see more of: a distinct and interesting visual identity, something to say, and what looks like a genuine desire to show us something a little different. But it wasn’t perfect, far from it actually. The writing was dumb, plodding and the third act made no sense at all. Like I said I feel like this movie has something to say but I don’t know that they said it very well aside from some broad strokes stuff. The pacing of the movie is all over the place too, we never seem to get enough time with anyone to learn about them or care much about them. The movie seems both like it was too short and too long. There’s part of me that suspects studio meddling. Like there were a couple of montages that looked like they weren’t shot to be montages, some awkward overdubbing here and there, and some out of place attempts at humor that reeks of some exec asking for a “punch up”. Like I can very easily see Edwards making a sprawling overly serious 3 hour+ epic with an R rating and Disney being like “lol no”. That said, with <i>Godzilla</i>, <i>Rogue One</i> and now this all having similar issues I’m beginning to wonder if Edwards just makes movies <i>like that. </i>The ultimate test would be to check out <i>Monsters </i>and see how that turns out. Brass tacks, <i>The Creator </i>is a mixed bag but there are worse movies you could be watching. Anything willing to inject some rightful fear and distrust of those Boston Dynamics robots into the zeitgeist can’t be all that bad.
#movie
Published · bridged from Atmosphere
ActivityPub object: https://bridge.neodb.net/users/esteeb.art/posts/3mgj7rnkc4s2d
AT Protocol record: at://did:plc:kutsb4j62xgabxquf6t5wrkz/social.popfeed.feed.review/3mgj7rnkc4s2d