skybridge

sarahabein.bsky.social · @sarahabein.bsky.social@bridge.neodb.net

Rated Seeds: One Man's Serendipitous Journey to Find the Trees That Inspired Famous American Writers from Faulkner to Kerouac, Welty to Wharton – A Humorous Literary Nature Memoir 4/10

(This is one of those times I wish I had half-stars because this is more of a 2.5)<br><br>I'm with Horan on the interesting nature of his project, and the potential it has for reforesting the descendants of old trees, as well as reminding us that some moments cannot be contained to a "sterile" museum. However, I wish <i>Seeds</i> were a better book. He needed to either go the straight history route, or — as I suspect straight history would be difficult for him to write — he needed to be more complete with the memoir side of his project. Though he says that these people were important to him, we don't know a lot about why. Bits and pieces, sure, but like I said, it's all very on the surface. I know what it's like to be engrossed in a fun, personal project, and so I want to know all that very personal stuff. So it's not that <i>Seeds</i> is a bad concept for a book; it's that I wished the approach and execution were different. As it stands, it is a decent library check-out, but likely a disappointing purchase.<br><br>(My full review appears on <a href="http://glorifiedloveletters.blogspot.com/2013/02/seeds-by-richard-horan.html">Glorified Love Letters</a>)<br>

#book

Published · bridged from Atmosphere

ActivityPub object: https://bridge.neodb.net/users/sarahabein.bsky.social/posts/3mtffdplbpc2r
AT Protocol record: at://did:plc:wg7ggyvno4xbuwgp22biwfjv/buzz.bookhive.book/3mtffdplbpc2r